Monday, April 5, 2010

An Easter Timeline

Yesterday I just had to laugh.  We were not at church a week ago, but were told they were celebrating Easter at a river.  Since Good Friday is the bigger holiday here, culturally, I was happy to have something special on Easter and determined to go by myself with the boys since Paul was due home later that day.  We were told to meet at the church at 9am, 1 1/2 hours earlier than the usual starting time.  I imagined that then we would go to a NEARBY river and by finished by 11 or so.

8:20 - "Boys, everyone get dressed while I take a shower.  We don't want to be late or they'll leave us!"
8:50 - After a quick call to Paul, who is already on the bus and only 2 hours from Shell and several mad dashed back inside for things, we pull out of our driveway, making us ON TIME at the church.
9:05 - Four people other than us are at the church.  All are in jeans.
9:30 - Twenty or so people.  Jeans.  (I am wearing a skirt because it's Easter!)
9:45 - A truck full of people pull-up and a vote is taken on whether to continue as planned or cancel due to threatening rain.  The Ayes have it!  Nos Vamos!
10:05 - We load up in our car - the boys and the pastor's family - and about half the people load into a truck and another car.  We go to buy batteries for the boombox, but no one has size C.  We give up on batteries, but I got a pre-paid card for my cell phone.
10:20 - We stop at a bread store and get bread for after the service.
10:25  - I call Paul and he is about 45 minutes away.  I tell him to call when he gets to the church and I will come get him.  We leave the bread store and go in a direction I've never been before.
10:35 - I ask how much longer to the river.  Five minutes.
10:45 - We arrive at the river.  One truck is there and 2 are right behind us.  The boys play with the other children by the river.  My phone has no cell phone service.
11:00 - We are called to gather on some rocks.
11:07 - We sing a song and hear a Bible passage
11:15 We leave to go get Paul.  Sammy watches the phone to see when we get service again.  We speed along the rocky dirt road.
11:30 - We have service and call Paul who has been waiting and calling for about 15 minutes.
11:37 - Paul is walking towards us!  We decide to go home since by the time we get back to the river church will be over.  Isaac says, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment